Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish, this is a place to share all of your top ten based on the weekly theme.

This week's theme: Top Ten Bookish Websites/Organizations/Apps, etc
In no particular order.....
1. Google Reader - Not what you were expecting, right? Any blog I want to follow gets added to Google Reader. Those using GFC automatically get added (though sometimes you need to visit your Blogger dashboard for it to kick in). This is my first bookish stop of the day.

2. Shelfari - Second bookish stop of the day. It was the first site I started using to keep track of what was on my bookshelves. I've found some great active groups there, and my tbr has grown because of them.

3. Goodreads - I like this because it connects with Twitter and Facebook. Its much easier to sort you book lists than Shelfari, and its a much faster load time. Plus it has the Goodreads First Reads program, and you can keep track of favorite quotes. It does have a book swap program, but I've yet to try it.

4. Goodreads App for Nook Color - First app of its kind for the Nook Color. Lets me do a quick update on my reading without firing up a computer or using the Nook Color's browser.

5. Library Thing - Bare bones and no fuss site. Very quick load time, and it too can connect with your facebook and twitter accounts. It has an early reviewers program, and a Members Giveaway program. I have received several e-books through the latter, from authors wanting reviews (look for those once the library stops bum rushing me with holds). If you miss out on a giveaway on Goodreads, you can always try here (they get several of the same), and vice versa. There are free and pay versions of accounts (free maxes at 200 books on your list), but right now pay is a one time only thing, and I might consider doing that in the future. It also features local events near you, and author chats.

6. Book Depository - We over on this side of the pond sometimes get the shaft when books are originally printed in the UK. They don't always get picked up by an American publisher, so we have to go elsewhere. For a single item shopping, Book Depository is great, and free shipping. Not always cheaper than Amazon UK, but easier by far.

7. Unbound Blog - Barnes and Noble's blog about all things Nook related. They feature their monthly selection, new apps, some of their sales and guest blogs here.

8. Barnes and Noble's Bargain Books - Sales are good, and if you don't have to have it right at release, this portion of the site is awesome. Around the time when the paperbacks are hitting the stores, B&N puts the hardcover versions on clearance for a time. I have upgraded series that I loved to hardcover copies because of this. Its hard to beat a hardcover copy for under $5.

9. Librivox - Most bookish people have heard of Project Gutenberg by now. Librivox is Project Gutenberg for audiobooks. Volunteers record books in the public domain and make those available for download for free. If you use Itunes, you can subscribe to a book so it will download into the podcast section, instead of in a massive archive file, or multiple smaller files.

10. Ebay - If you are looking for something out of print, Ebay is my favorite place to start. I suffer from the 'but my series books must match' condition, so I have completed a few of series sets this way. And my recent stash of French books.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ebay and Half.com are great sites! Even for ARC's ;)

Ellie said...

I agree with Google reader and thought about putting it on my list...I read many more blog posts that I woulkd otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on GoodReads... it's actually my home page. I love being updated on what people are reading!

Lauren B said...

Librivox looks useful.
Thanks for stopping by.

sawcat said...

I like that too about Goodreads Wallace. And the on the fly comments about whats being read.

Mimi, I never thought about looking for ARCs there. Probably dangerous information for me to have ;)