Saturday, March 10, 2012

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Young Adult, Paranormal Romance
Borrowed from the library
Audiobook

I've been seeing this around the young adult blogs, so figured I tried it when I saw the library had it. I liked the premise she used with her wolves storyline. Its a bit of a twist to the tradition werewolf story, which gives them more of a natural existence, for a supernatural being. Instead of changing once a month, the werewolves change when the weather gets cold enough, returning to human form when its warmer weather, but eventually changing into a wolf permanently.

Unfortunately for me, there was not enough focus on the wolf story line. The romance side of the story took over, and overpowered the supernatural side. It features one moony high school girl who falls in love with a werewolf teen guy. The story is told from both perspectives, so you get two voices internally wondering if the other likes them, how much they like them, and just plain thinking about the other all the damn time. It feels fake, and sugary and just not very enticing. There is also a slight stalker vibe, which almost always is something I dislike in books.

Another strike against this audiobook was that I just didn't like either of the readers at all. There was not much emotion or any impression that acting was occurring. It seemed more like they were just reading, with very little changes in tone. Plus the woman reading Grace's chapters sounded very young, and the guy reading Sam's chapters sounded much older than the woman, so my psyche was coming up with an unpleasant mental image. My dislike of the readers may have influenced my impression of the novel, but by the end it was difficult to separate the two sides.

If you want to try this one, I strongly recommend you skip the audiobook and just read it.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I loved reading this book...I don't really like audio...

Sarah Williams said...

Audio is really dependent on having good readers. I am beginning to wonder if I have issues when more than one person are reading a book. Then they are casting the different roles, and its a whole other can of worms there.

I think I would have liked it a bit better if I'd read it, but probably not too much. Books set in high school and romances can be hit and miss for me. I haven't quite figured out what it is so I can guess which I want to avoid