Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mailbox Monday and What I'm reading

Mailbox Monday is currently hosted by Metro Reader.

I spent half of the last two weeks working out in the desert, so I have book build ups, and didn't get much reading done on account of being tired from wandering for 8-9 miles daily through the desert.

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by The Countess of Carnarvon ~ Won from Fodors and Random House. Thank you!
Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell
The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes
Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell (From the fantasticness that is Bookperk)
Lovely blackwork knight bookmark won from Tanzanite's Castle Full of Books. Thanks Daphne!


I also went to the library to pick up a hold on a physical book. Which mean the obligatory roam of the book sale.
When Christ and his Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman
The Darling Strumpet by Gillian Bagwell
The Merry Monarch's Wife: The Story of Catherine of Braganza by Jean Plaidy
Queen of this Realm: The Story of Elizabeth I by Jean Plaidy
Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig
Mary Called Magdaline by Margaret George

Checked out
Wither by Lauren DeStefano

I also have checked out via Overdrive:
Audiobooks:
The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Room by Emma Donoghue

e-books:
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame Smith
Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

What I'm reading is hosted by Book Journey:

I finished:
Lady MacBeth by Susan Fraser King
The Postmistress by Sarah Blake
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

I am reading:
Hearts Restored by Prue Phillipson
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Broken Sword by Robert Joseph Lewis
The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan

Up Next:
The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame Smith
Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Room by Emma Donoghue

And I suspect I've already finished my Library reading challenge, due to my binge on the audiobooks. But they make record searches and transects go much faster.

24 comments:

Kell said...

I spotted The Darling Strumpet in a sho pthe other day and was sorely tempted...
My Monday Memes post

bermudaonion (Kathy) said...

Those should keep you busy for a while!

Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I still need to read Wither, I've had the Arc forever. Enjoy all your new reads! Happy reading.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

The Downton Abbey book catches my eye! I am in love with the show!

tributebooksmama said...

A nice selection of reads, enjoy!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/mailbox-monday_20.html

Melissa_Avid_Reader_MJ said...

Wonderful Mailbox, Sarah! I totally forgot to include The Downton Abbey Companion book in my mailbox this week. Guess I'll have to include it next week.

Can't wait for your thoughts on When Christ and His Saints Slept.

kaye said...

The Lady Almina book sounds wonderful - I've loved Downton Abbey and can't wait for season 3. Enjoy your new books.

Patty said...

You have a lovely looking stash of books!!!

Alyce Reese said...

What a nice mix of books! Working out in the desert sounds exhausting!

Mary said...

Wow, great mailbox list!

Lauren said...

I love The Count of Monte Cristo...

Sarah Williams said...

It was, but otherwise it was a relatively easy survey. Gave plenty of time for the audiobooks

Sarah Williams said...

I had read that SKP a few falls ago before we had that group read for Devil's Brood, but I had borrowed it from the library. It was my favorite of that trilogy.

Isn't that companion book a beautiful thing?

Sarah Williams said...

I love social history so the Lady Almina book should fit the bill. Or at least fill in time until the third season airs

Sarah Williams said...

It really is a beautiful book, graphically, with lots of behind the scenes and some history too

Sarah Williams said...

I think on of the Shelfari groups did a group read of it or another on Nell not too long ago. Couldn't remember the reviews, but glad to support the library on a whim.

Sarah Williams said...

The author is so wacky on her twitter, I just couldn't wait anymore to see if it carried over

Julie A Smith said...

Wow; what a great list of books! Caleb's Crossing and Daughter of Smoke and Bone - definitely high on my to-buy list. The Book Thief - artistic, sad, but such a wonderful read! :) Have a great reading week!

Hina Ansari said...

wow, that is an impressive list - hope you tell us how Descendants :)

Mystica said...

You've got great lists in all sections - read, to be read, reviewed all groups!

Sam_TinyLibrary said...

I'm intrigued by Rhett Butler's People as I am a massive Gone With the Wind fan. But I didn't like the 'sequel', Scarlett, so I've always held back from buying it. It'll be interesting to see what you think of it.

Karen Sime said...

Impressive list of books. I envy anyone who can read so many at once. The Book Thief is a favourite of mine as is Room. I also liked The Bonesetter's Daughter. Hope you enjoy.

Sarah Williams said...

I liked them all. Just finished Room, and although Jack is the type of kid that makes me cringe, the story was good.

What's helped a lot is I've been going through audiobooks quite quickly. I try to only have one on each format.

Sarah Williams said...

I have Scarlet, but I can't really remember what I read in it back in middle school, so I will probably revisit that at some point too. But I was curious as what could be done with Rhett, and I frequently see it at the library sales and used bookstores